Ohana Empower Training

Ohana Empower Training
& why you should go to the one coming to your town
I had been anxiously and dare I say compulsively logging in to see the training events status update so I could register for the Empower training coming to our island. As the Life Teen Coordinator in our military community I had been plagued by the sinking feeling that I am not equipped for this responsibility, and thought TRAINING is the key.

Tricia Tembreull was coming to Hawaii! I leapt for joy! Arriving with my notebook and pen, I was prepared to collect the how to-s and check lists for changing what I am doing to make our Life Teen better…what I didn’t expect was that it is so much more than a check list… Communicate effectively, the Holy Spirit succeeds, pray more than you plan, and focus on relationships-the Ohana. It does seem written this way that it appears to be a list but bear with me. I imagine many of the people attending this training were feeling much like me; and you may be too as you prepare for your empower experience. I expected to hear all the ways that I was messing things up, and all the ways to fix it. I was reminded why my perfectionistic tendencies have no place in Youth Ministry.

Parishes from all over the island attend.
There were multiple churches represented from every part of Oahu.  Many of those parishes are new to the Life Teen Ohana. Okay so there is that word again, this is where you may be thinking of that sweet little blue alien who so sweetly recites that “Ohana means family.” And that is exactly what it means sans the blue alien, or with him if you really love the movie. Okay, back to the Empower Training experience, We were all able to choose between two breakout sessions. One was geared toward Life Teen’s middle school Edge, and the other for high school resources. We came back together to discuss our experiences briefly and then we were fed. That truly is always a key component isn’t it?

Communication was highlighted as an essential component in successful Life Teen and Edge Ministry and Tricia walked us through an enlightening exercise. She asked all the attendees in the room to stand except for the Youth Ministry Coordinator/Director. Then she asked a series of questions. Remain standing if you receive emails or texts from your Coordinator. Remain standing if you always read them. Some sat down. Remain standing if you always read it entirely. More sat. Remain standing if you respond every time you should… nearly every person was seated at this point. I could feel most of us in the “director’s chair” cringe a little because we know how often a needed response is just nonexistent.

This exercise helped us all to honestly assess how we are currently communicating, how we wish to communicate, and what three simple keys to effective communication can empower (see what I did there?) youth ministries in their efforts to engage well. The first, identify the best way to reach the Core and teens…for some, email is better for others, text. Then consider the frequency and the importance of the communication in that form, suggested volume of emails is 1 email a week. Our ministry is relational so that means we are in the business of cultivating Christ centered relationships with each other and with those we serve. So it was strongly suggested that we ask ourselves, “Am I making communication about ministry a priority? And being accountable?” More than that also, “Am I communicating about things outside of ministry too, really building relationships or is it all about the next life night, retreat etc.?” (More on that a little later). The thing is that yes, planning is important. Communicating effectively…super important. Showing up and really being invested, yes important. Be sure not to let fear of failing be your primary objective when reaching out and planning.

Failure fails to exist when the Holy Spirit is the one that shows up.
The reality is that all the planning and talking/text/email in the world aren’t in and of themselves what means success or failure in your life night, retreat, or event. When we are obedient to our call and in the order our call is given to us; i.e. God, family, work, ministry; you invite the Holy Spirit to show up. Jesus is first on the invite, and a true encounter with Christ regardless of if you checked all the boxes, all the equipment worked, and everyone did what they were supposed to…THAT is success. I said this before but the Lord keeps repeating it to me…Every meeting, every flyer, every life night, it’s all about Jesus and His infinite mercy, love, and His sincere desire to share in an encounter with your teens and YOU.
Pray more than Plan
Sometimes I get in way over my head with trying to organize this meeting, print out all that needs to be printed out (sign in sheets, handouts, flyers, bulletin inserts etc.), inspire volunteers, communicate enough…yet not too much…well you get the idea. It is overwhelming, you know that. Marlo Dowdy (in one of my many emotionally charged pleas for help) reminded me of what Tricia enthusiastically shared when she asked me this beautiful question, “How is your prayer life? Are you hearing His voice?” What she was reminding me of, and to be honest frequently reminds me of is to always hold tight to the need to prioritize prayer. Before any of that other stuff, before I speak I must listen, before I ask I must thank, before I take I must receive what is given, I must intimately trust in God’s love and Mercy. I must spend time on my knees before I spend time on the keys (of the laptop). In my support calls and encouragement, and in this prayer time I am reminded why my perfectionistic tendencies have no place in Youth Ministry.

Relational Ministry  There is one last lesson from Tricia, and it was a reminder…we are a relational ministry, which means we are in the relationship business. We are about our relationship with God and how we interact with Him through the people around us. That makes sense on obvious levels but the point can be simplified even more…get to know each other OUTSIDE of the ministry. Know what our likes and dislikes, needs and wants, silliness and seriousness, all of it in healthy connection lies healthy ministry. Phone a friend, call in reinforcements and know you are not alone. For those of us in the military communities you know that reinforcements are a big deal and you also know that the quality of that support is crucial. Know that Life Teen Resources come with HUMAN support. Marlo and Tricia are faithful, honest, and sincerely dedicated to seeing God’s glory manifested all over our communities. They are a real and integral part of your Life Teen Ohana. The Empower training was my first time meeting Tricia finally face to face, and yet I can tell you all it was like being reunited with a dear friend. Embrace these principles communicate, trust in God the glory is HIS, pray A LOT, nurture these and your vocational relationships, GO to the Empower Training in your town and "Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him.” Matt 11:23





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuity of Spiritual Care: Military Chapels "What the What?"

Continuity of Spiritual Care: Military Chapels "What's Life Teen Got to Do with It?"

The Mountain with NET Ireland