Core Recruitment- A Fairy Tale?

Core Recruitment -A Fairy Tale?

Volunteers needed
Here a volunteer needed, there a volunteer needed, everywhere a volunteer needed. We all know the challenges of keeping volunteer numbers steady in the transitional life of a military community. In most churches, the many are supported by the few and it isn’t a rare experience to browse the bulletin and find the same names under various ministries. We all know that more hands would be ideal but this is often a difficult goal to fulfill.

Even the Cool Kids
Even Life Teen ministry, in all its vibrancy, finds itself announcing, “volunteers needed!” What is the reason we sometimes struggle to fill specific CORE positions? There are many answers for this. I found one while looking in the mirror.

Mirror, Mirror, I Am Too Old
Peering at myself, I examined my wrinkles and that new little age spot on my left cheek and thought, that’s funny…I don’t remember getting older. I looked into my own eyes and felt fear bubble up in my chest. The older I get, the further I am from the youth and their experiences. I am too old.

I Am Too Young
Chatting with an airman who is volunteering, he confessed to me quite out of nowhere that among his reservations, the top fear he had was that he was so close to the teens’ age that they would see him more as a peer than a leader. They wouldn’t take him seriously. He is too young.

 Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Katharine Pyle
Fairy Tale?
See a pattern? No, this isn’t the Three Bears. No, it isn’t a fairy tale. The difference is that among the sea of faces that come and go in our chapels, there are a plethora of strengths, gifts, and talents that benefit the entire chapel and Life Teen Ministry. What that means is, everyone is “just right” for something.  That is not to say that everyone is right for every ministry, but there is some way they can contribute to their community. The key is to stop fear in its tracks. I guess I recognize that better now because my first experience with Life Teen was under the “Fearless” theme. When I feel that story of the “Three Bears” is starting to play out in the people I am inviting or in myself… I remember to help us figure out where we are “just right” and then focus on how to plug in.

God Will Provide

Ultimately, if you are experiencing a case of the “Three Bears,” remember that God provides for all that we need. And God doesn’t [always] call the equipped; he equips the called (Rom 8:30). So Fear not, get out there and invite people into an encounter with Jesus, not bears. I think that would be way too many forms and regulations to figure out anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuity of Spiritual Care: Military Chapels "What the What?"

Continuity of Spiritual Care: Military Chapels "What's Life Teen Got to Do with It?"

The Mountain with NET Ireland